Next problem – finding a bezel (backing) for the tile that would wrap the sides. Since the tiles are glass, I’m afraid they may be a little sharp around the edges. I carefully measured my tiles, found some nice bezels on Etsy that I thought would work – BUT – turns out they are a little too big and not deep enough. I hadn’t even thought about the depth. DUH!
On to the next experiment. I have a bunch of polymer clay from when I used to make Christmas ornaments. I decided to try and create my own bezels. So I printed out a template, cut out my shapes, assembled, and ended up with my tile embed in the clay. Since the clay bakes at a lower temperature than the paint, I figure it should be fine.
Here’s the first experiment – right out of the oven. Needs a little cleanup, but I think it has possibilities.